Saturday 29 March 2014

Darkness, wisdom and daylight.

I wonder why it is that the thought I had complete clarity about in the wee small hours eludes me as soon as I fully waken?
It's as if daylight acts as a memory eraser.
Just as I'm heavily resting in that pre-wakened state it all makes sense - everything.  Life and death, the conscious and unconscious have unfolded in the most beautiful way, and I get it!
I keep my eyes closed in the hope that I can retain all I've understood and share all this comfort filled knowing with as many family and friends as will listen.
But, bit by bit as I rise up and up from my sleepy state, like a child clambering ever higher to reach the biscuit tin - it's always just a finger tips length away from my grasp. Then daylight snaps into my awareness and the "biscuit tin" has been snatched from me and locked back into the cupboard.
I wonder who puts those thoughts and images so clearly in my mind?  Is it the same person who so cruelly snatches them back?
Maybe, simply glimpsing and feeling that all is well should be enough. The frustrated child in me wants others to know why I feel this way - but without a clear explanation I risk sounding like a mad woman!
So, I'll keep my notebook and pen by my bedside in the hope that one of those days I will be able to clearly explain exactly what is contained within those night time wisdoms, before they magically dissolve into the mists of day break.
"Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity." - Khalil Gibran

3 comments:

  1. What to remember when waking

    In that first hardly noticed moment in which you wake,
    coming back to this life from the other
    more secret, moveable and frighteningly honest world
    where everything began,
    there is a small opening into the new day
    which closes the moment you begin your plans.

    What you can plan is too small for you to live.
    What you can live wholeheartedly will make plans enough
    for the vitality hidden in your sleep.

    To be human is to become visible
    while carrying what is hidden as a gift to others.
    To remember the other world in this world
    is to live in your true inheritance.

    You are not a troubled guest on this earth,
    you are not an accident amidst other accidents
    you were invited from another and greater night
    than the one from which you have just emerged.

    Now, looking through the slanting light of the morning window
    toward the mountain presence of everything that can be
    what urgency calls you to your one love?
    What shape waits in the seed of you
    to grow and spread its branches
    against a future sky?

    Is it waiting in the fertile sea?
    In the trees beyond the house?
    In the life you can imagine for yourself? I
    n the open and lovely white page on the writing desk? --

    David Whyte

    - See more at: http://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?tid=994#sthash.sWJCc4hZ.dpuf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Tamsin...that is beautiful! :-) xx

      Delete
  2. I think the beauty of these waking moments is that it's a moment when we come close to that meditative state where we have attention and focus but untainted by the clutter of our daily wakened minds. I think that's where the clarity comes from. Personally I cherish the fact that my mind is free to wander and I celebrate in not being attached to the thoughts and insights I get at these moments. They will remain there in my subconscious and they will reappear when the time is right! The notebook is a good idea though... :)

    ReplyDelete