Sunday 4 March 2012

Time & Progress

Locally there is a hill with a tower on top of it, called Kinpurnie Tower, it can be seen for miles and is a very distinctive landmark.
Recently I was cycling about 4 miles inland from the bottom of the hill, and about 6 miles east of it. When I set off I could see the tower way off to my left and it stayed within my sight for the majority of the cycle.
At one point I looked up and noticed I was nearly level with the tower which was built on the centre of the hill top, cycling into the wind I kept my head tucked down and felt happy that I'd made some noticeable progress.
20minutes later I looked up and it seemed that I was in exactly the same position..the tower seemed to be in the same spot ... oh my...how deflated I felt as I knew I still had about 9 miles to go.
On I went talking to myself a bit, a few encouraging words, some grumpy words too! Then faced with the combination of a single track road, a steep hill and a man driving a van who had obviously just heard his house was on fire, I felt defeated.
I looked up at the tormenting tower on the hill and to my surprise it was slightly behind me!
Even when we don't think we're making progress we are. Bit by bit if we take steps in the right direction, despite the obstacles that are thrown our way, focus on what you want now keep going and you will get there.
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." - Walter Elliott
" If we are facing the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking." - Buddhist saying

No comments:

Post a Comment