Saturday 5 January 2013

The worrier

I wonder if it is possible to remove the "worrying" trait.  Is it inherent in all of us?  It's certainly something I battle with on a near daily basis.  I do know people who are incredibly good at keeping their concerns and worries within reasonable limits, not allowing their heads to catastrophise - and I do sort of envy them that ability.
I don't believe we're born worriers, just as I don't believe anyone is born evil.  Early experiences leave their mark.  A faint bruise, a blemish on the surface of the skin begins to fade, then something else happens and the bruise goes deeper, stays longer marking our skin a deep purple.  As bad or sad things happen to us it's as if there is a permanent "mark" left - immovable, stuck fast.  This mark becomes our basis for a belief that leaves us "knowing" worrying about tomorrow is the only way!
The fact is, bad things do happen. What we can do though is reality check the facts related to a situation that may be unfolding before us.  Keeping our feet on the ground we can focus on what is happening NOW!  Not what might happen tomorrow...I for one need to remind myself of this over and over again as my head has a tendency to think the worst.  So, I say STOP!  Shift my awareness to my feet on the ground and stay rooted in this moment - after all NOW is the only thing that is real , the rest is being made up in my head!
"Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen.  Keep in the sunlight." - Benjamin Franklin.
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy." - Leo Buscaglia.

No comments:

Post a Comment