Sunday 24 June 2012

The potential for sunshine.

Whenever I'm flying up to Shetland or down to London I can be lulled into a false sense of joy as the blinding sunshine sparkles through the windows.  It's only when the pilot announces to the crew to prepare the cabin for landing that my sun filled joy can start to recede.  Slowly but surely as we descend through various layers of cloud, I start to see the reality of the weather at ground level.  Dark and foreboding, dull and drizzly, down and down we go.  The doors open, and with my head hanging down to protect myself from the driving rain, everyone scurries into the terminal to get on with their journey to wherever.
How quickly I can forget that beyond the darkness surrounding me the sun is still shining brightly!  I'm disinterested in that fact now, because my focus is on what I see and feel in that moment, horrible, cold, damp weather!  The same is true of our relationships.  How quickly we can forget that behind the anger, behind the sadness there is still that warm person who when the clouds pass will reveal their sunnier side.  Be patient and remember how quickly the weather can change, and don't forget the potential for sunshine is always there.
"People are like stained - glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." - Anthony J. D'Angelo

No comments:

Post a Comment